Sunday, December 18, 2011

Saying Yes!

Back in the spring I discovered the Gluten Free Girl, Shauna Ahern. I follow her blog, and read her books. When she learned that she had celiac disease and needed to omit gluten from her diet, she decided to focus on what she could eat, saying "Yes!" to all of those things, rather than focusing on what she couldn't eat.

I've decided to do the same. Whenever I've had the opportunity, I've picked up new foods and brought them home to try them.




Kohlrabi is a great example. Kohlrabi? What is that? How do I cook it? Don't know, but in to the shopping cart it goes!

(Kohlrabi image from http://www.bostonfoodandwhine.com/)


So, what does one do with kohlrabi? I tried it boiled and mashed, like potatoes, and that was OK. Then I found a recipe for kohlrabi pickles. Yes! Those were great! And the other night, kohlrabi soup. It was great! Think of a cream of potato soup, but with a bit of a bite.

Here are the recipes I used:

Kohlrabi pickles
Kohlrabi soup
(This recipe calls for milk - I substituted coconut milk, and it was a bit rich. I'd change the broth/milk recipe next time from 1:1 to 2:1.)

Now that winter is here, I'm looking forward to trying any new winter veggies that might show up in the produce aisle, so that I can say yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment