Monday, December 12, 2011

Kale - my new superfood!

I'm not sure how I managed to get through these first 45 years without eating kale. I plan on eating a lot of kale and other greens in the next 45 years! I love kale, chard, spinach, and even collard greens, and I eat greens most every day. Kale and other greens have a lot of micronutrients. I heard recently that kale has the most nutrients of any plant food!

I'd like to share a few of my favorite recipes with you.

Here's a wonderful soup that I served at lunch with friends the other day: Garlic Kale Sweet Potato Soup. I found this soup on the blog "365 Days of Kale" and I was thrilled to find someone else eating kale and posting recipes. I omit the garlic, as I'm allergic to it, and it is great even without the garlic!

The easiest way to cook kale or other greens is to saute a bit of onion, add some veggie broth, and cook the greens until they are tender - to your liking. You can add a splash of balsamic vinegar just before serving. If you want to add something to the texture, you can throw in a few raisins and nuts as well. Pine nuts or walnuts work well.

To sauce it up a bit, I love this recipe: Creamy Peanut Kale. It's great over a bit of rice and a few pieces of tofu. I also add a bit of Thai chili sauce to this recipe, for just a tiny bit of heat and sweetness.

Another recipe I love is this Marinated Kale Salad (minus the cheese). The lemon juice softens the kale overnight, and it makes a great salad.

And now, news about t-shirts. The most recent blog post at 365 Days of Kale has prompted me to order one of the the "Eat More Kale" shirts from www.eatmorekale.com. Chik-Fil-A has issued a cease and desist order because the "Eat More Kale" campaign might be confused with their slogan. Really, Chik-Fil-A? How could anyone confuse your product and kale? Sign the petition if you're interested and eat more kale!

No comments:

Post a Comment